Thursday, July 10, 2014

Crushin' on Northern California

Happy 2 week anniversary of being in Napa!  In honor of it, I would like to write a letter to new crush.

Dearest California,

Where do I even start? I hope this doesn't sound creepy, but I watched you from afar for years. You seemed like such a great place to live with your beaches, mountains, and desert. You tempted me with your hip personality and natural style. We came close to being together years ago, but it just wasn't meant to be at that time.  You were the unrequited love...the one who got away.

I'm just so grateful to be given this second chance(or really third if you want to count that passing glance at going to USC instead of Texas A&M - sorry but THAT would have been a mistake).  "They" said you'd be different. "They" said you'd be expensive.

You ARE different - what a refreshing change.  I mean, I'm a Texan through and through so no disrespect meant for my home state.  But, wow!  Let's just take the weather, for example. You have managed to have the perfect weather. Every day is a forecast of amazing with a 100% chance of awesome. Who needs an AC with a forecast like that?  Open the windows and let that awesome blow through the house morning to night.

Because of that weather, people can enjoy the outdoors all day long. Any time of day, there are numerous people outside running, cycling, or just walking their dogs.  People are outside, just being active and enjoying the awesomeness of the weather and also the scenery. People are just generally more into a healthy lifestyle, and I love it.

I hope that those that have lived here for years or their whole life still appreciate your natural beauty.  Driving to the store? Check out the hills. Driving the kids to camp? Oh look! There's a deer! Just walking through the neighborhood? Hills. Fresh air. Hills. And also some vineyards in the distance. Want to check out an area park? That comes complete with lots of hiking trails, amazing views of the area, and giant eucalyptus trees.  Want to explore some of the natural wonders of the U.S.?  A lot of those are driving distance.

Okay, yes you are expensive.  Not in every category.  Some things are pretty much the same.  Groceries are the same. Gas is more, but I sure am driving less. Even the kids' activities are the same as what we paid in Texas. But, California. Let's be real. You are very proud of your real estate.  I mean, it's a little ridiculous.  But I'll admit it. The price of this house is seeming less important as we get settled in.

I even love your attitude. You are a breath of fresh air.

Now, it's time to get real. There is something about Texas that I don't think you'll ever touch. Your BBQ.  I find myself drooling every time I see a Facebook post about Killen's BBQ.  And, I'm still looking for a Mexican restaurant that knows how to properly season beef fajita meat(or to make homemade tortillas).  There's a lot I love about the California flair of Mexican food. But these two items are seriously lacking. I'm hopeful though. 

I know we just met, but I feel like I've known you for years. I know it's early in our relationship, but California...I think I'm in love.  I think you may even be my soul mate. I know we will come to a time when we don't see eye to eye on everything, but...really...no one can agree on everything.

I can't wait to get to know you better to explore all that you have to offer.


Love,

Me



1 comment:

  1. We visited California in the summer of 2007 & I will NEVER FORGET IT! Such a beautiful place & oh my gosh...the weather! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete